Casing: bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vadim Chekan
Subject Casing: bug?
Date
Re: Casing: bug?  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-general
Hello there,

I have quite problem with PG 7.3 & 7.4b5
I create tables using pgAdmin3 v-1.0.1
I created a table "xType". Pay attention to capital "T" letter.
Than I tryed to insert data to it using psql tool.
But I have error: 'ERROR:  relation "xtype" does not exist'
In error all chars are small!
If I create table in pgAdmin using all small chars, everithing works fine.

Note: when I create table with a capital chars from psql, it is created with
small chars.

Ok, as I write this mail I found ansver to my question: I have to wrap table
names in quote chars to avoid downcasing. I have to write:
select * from "xType";
than it works.

So now question is: why "select * from xTypes" is a wrong query, why table
name is downcasing if it is not wrapped in quote? Is it a bug, or it's
according to some standard?

Doesn't it violate documentation:
Identifier and key word names are case insensitive. Therefore
UPDATE MY_TABLE SET A = 5;
 can equivalently be written as
uPDaTE my_TabLE SeT a = 5;

Thanks,