Re: HTML generation with PL/PgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: HTML generation with PL/PgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 24 October 2003 06:24, Scott Chapman wrote:
> On Thursday 23 October 2003 11:38, Birahim FALL wrote:
> > Is such a product exists (preferably opensource).
> > I'm ready to go for python etc, but I really wuld have to re-educate
> > myself.....
>
> Bir,
> There are a LOT of ways to make web pages with data from Postgres.
>
> I'd suggest you get:
>
> The latest Postgres
> Apache2 (http://httpd.apache.org)
> Mod_Python (http://www.modpython.org) Get the latest CVS version (3.1.2b at
> this writing). Python 2.3.2+ (http://www.python.org)
> Draco (http://draco.boskant.nl) 0.99.4 or (Quixote
> http://freshmeat.net/redir/quixote/18740/url_homepage/quixote) and Psycopg
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/psycopg)
>   and whatever few dependencies these have (mxDateTime comes to mind).

Python is very well respected, and Perl has modules to do anything you want
and many things you don't/shouldn't/are bad for your health.

You might want to look at PHP (http://www.php.net) which has a syntax which is
quite close to what you want.
A word of warning - it's very easy in PHP to mix your code and HTML. For
anything but the smallest project you don't want to do this. There are lots
of templating options, but smarty (http://smarty.php.net) is quite popular
and flexible.

--
  Richard Huxton