plpgsql: return multiple result sets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oksana Yasynska
Subject plpgsql: return multiple result sets
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

I'm running Postgres 7.2.1 and I need to return multiple row sets from plpgsql
function. I'm new in plpgsql but according documentation and everything I
could find in the mailing list I need to switch to 7.3 to get at least SETOF
rows as a result.

I can't really upgrade Postgres now. Is there is any a workaround idea to
retrieve multiple rowsets?

I have up to 50 tables in database to join and pass this data to the another
application
I had an idea to build a view and retrieve cursor on this view (if I stay with
7.2) or generate custom type based on the columns of all 50 tables  and
retrieve a SETOF custom type (if I use 7.3)

Can anybody give me any suggestion?

Thank you in advance,

Oksana