Re: Parent Id - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Parent Id
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 17:09:33 -0400,
  Gene Vital <genevital@karibe.com> wrote:
> ok, I am new to Postgres so could you give a little better explanation
> of this  ??
>
> I haven't created any sequence for this I am just using a type serial
> field. will I have to create a sequence for it?

When you use the serial type a sequence is automatically created for you.
The name is tablename_columnname_seq unless that string is too long
(> 64 characters I think). The actual name used gets printed as a notice
when you create the table.

> Here is my code to create the tables
>
> CREATE TABLE workstations (station_id INT4 PRIMARY KEY, name
> VARCHAR(50), description VARCHAR(250))
>
> CREATE TABLE wsoptions (option_id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, station_id INT4
> REFERENCES workstations (station_id)  ON DELETE CASCADE, type
> VARCHAR(20), data TEXT)
>

> insert into workstations (name, description)
>     values("new", "This is a test")
>
> insert into wsoptions (stations_id, type, data)
>     values( ????, "LOCATION", "10th floor outer, office 27")

The second insert should be:
insert into wsoptions (stations_id, type, data)
    values( currval('workstations_station_id_seq'),
    'LOCATION', '10th floor outer, office 27')

Also note that you need to use single quotes for data values. Double
quotes are used for the names of database objects.