Re: fix log_min_duration_statement logic error - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: fix log_min_duration_statement logic error
Date
Re: fix log_min_duration_statement logic error  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Agreed.  elog is the proper place, because then you guarantee that it is
> > all on one line.  Is that OK?  Do we have elogs that we want over
> > several lines?  Is this something we can do at this stage in beta?
>
> As to the latter: sure.  We've already hacked the formatting of the log
> output quite a bit since 7.3.  Better to hit them with this too now,
> than spread the pain over multiple releases.
>
> As to the former: the only thing that seems debatable to me is what to
> do about the layout of the new multi-part ereport() messages.  I would
> be inclined to go for one line per part, viz
>     ERROR: blah blah blah
>     DETAIL: blah blah\nblah blah
>     HINT: blah blah\nblah blah\nblah blah
> but perhaps someone would like to argue for somehow collapsing all this
> to one line?  If so, how exactly?

Are those lines sent to the elog as one write() or separate ones --- do
they always appear together in the log?

I had a new idea on output format.  Instead of converting newline to
"\n", and double-escaping backslashes, we add a tab after any newline,
so the output looks like:

    LOG:  duration: 4.035 ms  query: select *
            from pg_language;

This makes the logs look better, and it is easier for script to grab
queries.  Grep doesn't work as well, but I think that is OK.