Re: [GENERAL] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 22 August 2003 07:40, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> > Can someone explain me why is it usefull if the table created in
> > transaction disapears on rollback?
>
> Because then you can write big scripts like we do at work to install a new
> feature in the live database.  Such a script might create two new tables,
> add columns to existing tables, drop and recreate some foreign keys, etc.
> What you do is to test it you go 'begin;' and then execute the script.  If
> it all worked, commit, else rollback and fix the script.  Repeat until you
> get it right.

Exactly - I'm currently finalising a schema in conjunction with a client who's
working with some telecoms control equipment. Being able to modify tables and
copy-forward the data inside a transaction is very useful.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd