Re: [GENERAL] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Need concrete "Why Postgres not MySQL"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 22 Aug 2003 at 8:30, Hornyak Laszlo wrote:
> Can someone explain me why is it usefull if the table created in
> transaction disapears on rollback?

Imagine you are trying to duplicate a table but succeed halfway only?

More importantly all catalog changes are transaction safe in postgresql. Not
only tables, but indexes, views, functions, triggers, rules and schemas are
transaction safe as well. IMO that's a big feature list..

> Anyway the progress db supports it, at least the version 9.
> The other question: why is mysql enemy? Isn`t it just another RDBMS?

First of all it's not RDBMS. Any product that exposes details of underlying
storage mechanism can not qualify as RDBMS. Innodb only has transactions..
Wow..

Secondly it's not enemy. At the most competitor if you in business of selling
postgresql and an overhyped product overall..

Just my opinion..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Canada Bill Jones's Motto:    It's morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their
money.Canada Bill Jones's Supplement:    A Smith and Wesson beats four aces.