Re: Example Database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael D. Allen
Subject Re: Example Database
Date
List pgsql-general
> On 18 Aug 2003 at 16:19, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?

Yes, this would be very nice indeed.  Oracle is an extremely complex
(overgrown)database with a ton of features, but it ships with a set of
example schemas that show off a variety of features pretty well.  I'm
speaking of the set of schemas that try to model a company: OE, HR, etc.
SQL Server ships with Northwind and pubs, as another example.  But, we would
need a good supplementary document that goes along with whatever
materialized, perhaps guiding new users along in a tutorial manner.

--
Michael D. Allen
mallen@erhs.la