problem with automatic altering of groups - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Matthias Nagl
Subject problem with automatic altering of groups
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Matthias Nagl" <mnagl@web.de> schrieb am 20.08.03 23:09:03:
Hello,
is ist possible to write a function that alters the group of a given user like the following should do in my
opinion (I'd like to use it in a rule):
CREATE FUNCTION set_group (text, integer) RETURNS text AS '  ALTER GROUP userlevel1 DROP USER $1; ALTER GROUP
userlevel2DROP USER $1; ALTER GROUP

userlevel3 DROP USER $1;  ALTER GROUP userlevel4 DROP USER $1; ALTER GROUP userlevel5 DROP USER $1;  CASE $2      WHEN
5THEN          (ALTER GROUP userlevel5 ADD USER $1)      WHEN 4 THEN          (ALTER GROUP userlevel5 ADD USER $1;
ALTERGROUP userlevel4 ADD USER $1;)      [...]  END;  SELECT '';

' LANGUAGE 'SQL';
I don't understand why this function ist refused by postgresql with an parse error at the first $1 as ist every
other method I tryed to get postgres making an "alter group" with a variable. I'd be very happy if someone
could help...
yours
Matthias Nagl
Die sicherste Form der Kommunikation: E-Mails verschluesseln, Spam-Filter,
Adressverifizierung, digitale Unterschrift: http://freemail.web.de