Re: Benchmark - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Benchmark
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Friday 15 August 2003 07:33, mixo wrote:
> I have the following setup :
>   Apache 2 + mod_perl 2
>   Postgres 7.3.2
>

> I am looking for a benchmark utilty that the simulate a user session.
> For example, a user login in, displaying a ticket and searching for
> tickets; all these invlove a user connecting to the a url, like for search,
> a user needs
> to open "somehost.domain/path/to/search.html?with=arguments". The
> utiltly needs
> to simulate these actions.
>
> The following tools currently have so far caught my attention:
>    Apache Jmeter
>    ab

Depending on how complex things are, you may be able to use Tomka's suggestion
of a batch of wget commands.

However, if you want to be able to fill in forms, handle cookies and react to
results you might want to look at something based on Perl's LWP bundle
(LWP::UserAgent is a good start point).

If you want to see how many users can be supported, don't forget to include
plausible delays in the test sequence where the users would be
reading/entering data.

If you do find some flexible, scriptable web testing system that can read/fill
out forms etc please post to the list - I've had no luck finding anything I
like.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd