Re: On Linux Filesystems - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Toni Schlichting
Subject Re: On Linux Filesystems
Date
List pgsql-performance
Christopher, I appreciate your comments. At the end it goes down to personal
experience with one or the other file system. From that I can tell, that
I have
made good experience with UFS, EXT2, and XFS. I made catastrophic ex-
perience with ReiserFS (not during operation but you are a looser when
it fails
because the recovery methods are likely to be insufficient)

So at the end if somebody runs technical equipment, regardless whether it's
a computer or a chemical fab. It can fail and you need to make up your mind
about contingency.

This is due even before you start operating the equipment.

So waste too much time on thinking about the perfect file system. But
evaluate
the potential damage that can result from failure. Develop a Backup&Recovery
strategy and test it, test it and test it again, so that you can do it
blindly when it's
due.

Ciao, Toni