Re: Perfomance Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Perfomance Tuning
Date
Re: Perfomance Tuning  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
Re: Perfomance Tuning  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-performance
Rod Taylor wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 14:53, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:40:20AM -0700, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> > >
> > > Redhat puts ext3 on by default. Consider switching to a non-journaling FS
> > > (ext2?) with the partition that holds your data and WAL.
> >
> > I would give you exactly the opposite advice: _never_ use a
> > non-journalling fs for your data and WAL.  I suppose if you can
> > afford to lose some transactions, you can do without journalling.
> > Otherwise, you're just borrowing trouble, near as I can tell.
>
> Agreed.. WAL cannot recover something when WAL no longer exists due to a
> filesystem corruption.

It is true that ext2 isn't good because the file system may not recover,
but BSD UFS isn't a journalled file system, but does guarantee file
system recovery after a crash --- it is especially good using soft
updates.