Re: Thread-safe configuration option appears to - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Thread-safe configuration option appears to
Date
List pgsql-hackers
We don't know the ramifications of doing that flag in the backend code,
and we don't know the performance problems of doing it in client
libraries.

First get your own platforms enabled for the existing thread flag, and
we can revisit this when most/all our platforms are supported.  We want
to avoid confusion of having things work for some platforms and not
others with no way to communicate that to the users.

Lee Kindness wrote:
> Larry Rosenman writes:
>  > What the fr*** harm is it in passing -D_REENTRANT into the libpq build on
>  > UnixWare
>  > irregardless of the --with-threads* flag?
>
> Indeed for every other sane system out there. Folk are messing around
> with the thread stuff using here-say as knowledge. We want to compile
> with _REENTRANT, always! Anything needed in ADDITON to _REENTRANT (i.e
> thread link flags for libecpg) can be discovered by configure and
> applied to the build. Even for the rest of PostgreSQL, it will work
> A-OK if we are already sticking to the rules (i.e. including <errno.h>
> when using errno).
>
> L.

Pennsylvania19073