Re: join optimization problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Toby Tremayne
Subject Re: join optimization problem
Date
List pgsql-sql

Hi Rod,
thanks for that - I tried it out, fixed the minor typos and it ran at almost
the same speed!  Any other ideas?

cheers,
Toby

On Friday 01 August 2003 10:33, Rod Taylor wrote:
> How about this? It should spit out the same number, but be quite a bit
> quicker at it.  Untested of course...
>

> select  t.thread_id,
>                 t.forum_id,
>                 t.thread_title,
>                 t.thread_owner,
>                 t.thread_owner_id,
>                 t.date_created,
>                 t.thread_hits,
>                 t.poem_reference,
>                 t.bArchived,
>                 count, maxdate
>    from  fbof_thread t
>    LEFT OUTER JOIN
>          (select thread_id
>                , count(msg_id) as count
>                , max(date_created) as maxdate
>             from msg
>         group by thread_id
>         ) as tab ON m.thread_id = t.thread_id
>       where   t.forum_id = 1
>         and             t.bArchived = 0
>         and             t.bSticky = 0
>    order by        t.date_created desc
>
> > can anyone point out to me where I'm going wrong here?  I can't seem to
> > make it faster for the life of me....  I've tried adding indices on all
> > the main fields etc but nada.  I'm not subscribed the list currently so
> > please reply to my address as well as the list.

- --

 Life is poetry -    write it in your own words

Toby Tremayne
Code Poet and Zen Master of the Heavy Sleep
Senior Technical Consultant
Lyricist Software
www.lyricist.com.au
+61 416 048 090