Re: autocommit in 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: autocommit in 7.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > The issue I have is that every interface that relies on libpq is going
> > to have to code it itself.  Is that OK?
>
> So?  Most interfaces have to adhere to their own notions of transaction
> semantics and control API anyway.  libpq should stay out of their way
> rather than try to be helpful.  I see this as not different from the
> lesson we learned that doing it in the backend isn't the right place.

I know Perl and jdbc do, but things like c++ and libpgeasy don't really
have a specification to follow.  With the ability to check the
transaction status, it might now be easy enough to do autocommit that
having it happen in every interfaces will be ok.

Pennsylvania19073