Re: Proof-of-concept for initdb-time shared_buffers selection - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Proof-of-concept for initdb-time shared_buffers selection
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Manfred,

> Can't this be done on postmaster startup?  I think of two GUC
> variables where there is only one today: min_shared_buffers and
> max_shared_buffers.  If allocation for the max_ values fails, the
> numbers are decreased in a loop of, say, 10 steps until allocation
> succeeds, or even fails at the min_ values.

I think the archives are back up.  Take a look at this thread; we already had
this discussion at some length, and decided that a max of 1000 was reasonable
in advance of user tuning.  And, I believe, Tom has already written the code.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions