Re: version mismatch message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: version mismatch message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Nonetheless, I think a pg_dump 7.3.2 dumping a 7.3.3 database should not
> > raise a version mismatch message at all.
>
> I'm unconvinced; at best, you are assuming zero bugs.

Yes.  The version mismatch message wasn't created because we are assuming
bugs, but because we know that pg_dump cannot handle the catalogs, which
is not the case when you use 7.3.2 to dump 7.3.3.  If we want to take bugs
into account, then we can't let pg_dump work with any other version,
possibly not even its own.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net