Re: What I would say if someone asked me about no win32 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: What I would say if someone asked me about no win32
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
People,

> Q. Hey, I read in a bunch of places that 7.4 was going to have native
> windows support, what gives?

My answer:

A. PostgreSQL has a well-deserved reputation for "bulletproof" reliability and
stability, which requires each new patch and plug-in to pass stringent
community testing.  The Win32 platform has proved to be more of a challenge
than we anticipated in this regard, and we would rather release our Windows
port late than release a version which might fail in production environments.

But, Bruce, since you're head of the port, wanna comment on this?  We're
trying to prepare a "canned" answer for the inevitable questions.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions