Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Draft #5 -- radically re-written
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc, Robert,

> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Wno't this be makign for a *very* long release announcement?  Starting to
> > sound more like an article then an announcement, no? :(
>
> Thanks Marc, you helped put into words some feelings I had about the
> announcement. I think we need remember that this is an announcement
> about 7.4, not a tour through all of the wonderful things about
> PostgreSQL.

<grin>  Next stop on our mystery tour ....

Actually, given the "theme" of the press release (try switich to Postgres from
DB2, MSSQL, Oracle), a *mention* of the main GUIs makes sense.  But I'm
talking a *single* paragraph for all 3 GUIs (assuming that pgaccess will have
a new release too).

If Jean-Michel wants to tell the press more detail about the new pgAdminIII
than that, I'd be happy to help the project prepare its own press release.

The idea is that MSSQL, DB2 and Oracle all ship with GUIs on the installation
disks.  Many DBAs trying to make a transition are confused by the lack of one
and the PostgreSQL GUI list is pretty hard to find if you don't already know
where it is.   Mentioning that we have 3 GUIs releasing new versions for 7.4
will encourage the MSSQL DBAs out there to find the information they need.

Also, what *is* new is the fact that our major GUIs already have new versions
ready for the new release at beta time.  In the past, some projects have
lagged behind, making GUI users stick to older versions of Postgres.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions