Re: What I would say if someone asked me about no win32 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: What I would say if someone asked me about no win32
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I would tell them to prototype on the cygwin version and port to the
native version when it comes out.  I was counting off the days until the
win32 port for 7.4 but (IMO) the developers made the right decision to
delay until the next release.  The cygwin version is a drag to install
but should be ok for development purposes.

I used to tell people to use the PeerDirect port but 7.2.1 is missing a
lot of nice features (especially schemas) and that port has some issues
with the WAL which (IMO) make it not very attractive in a production
environment.  From what I understand Bruce has resolved these issues in
the official port.  7.4 has some killer features which I think are
under-hyped (for example

John Carmack's mantra regarding the hugely overdue Doom3 project is 'it
will be ready when it's ready'.  In software, that's a good motto.

Merlin