Re: Very strange 'now' behaviour in nested triggers. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Very strange 'now' behaviour in nested triggers.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Could we cleanly convert 'now' to now()?  I assume not because we pass
the string to the date code, and have no way to pass back a function
(now()).

Having now and now() behave differently certainly is strange.

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP works fine, but it does because it isn't in quotes.
Strangely, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP converts to 'now', not now().  Is that a
problem?
           | CURRENT_TIMESTAMP               {                   /*                    * Translate as
"'now'::text::timestamptz".                   * See comments for CURRENT_DATE.                    */
A_Const*s = makeNode(A_Const);                   TypeName *d;

                   s->val.type = T_String;                   s->val.val.str = "now";                   s->typename =
SystemTypeName("text");
                   d = SystemTypeName("timestamptz");                   /* SQL99 mandates a default precision of 6 for
timestamp.                   * Also, that is about as precise as we will get since                    * we are using a
microsecondtime interface.                    * - thomas 2001-12-07                    */                   d->typmod =
6;
                   $$ = (Node *)makeTypeCast((Node *)s, d);               }