Re: - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re:
Date
libpq_r  (Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk>)
List pgsql-hackers
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> I repeat what I have said earlier. If there are two libraries A using libecpg_r
> and B, using libecpg, then program linking against both of them is going to
> have tough time living with symbol conflicts.
>
> I suppose problem will be reproducible even under freeBSD if you try to create
> a postgresql function in C which uses threads. Link the library against libc_r
> and link postgresql against libc. It would run into problems.
>
> I am just stating my experiences.I might have missed solution to this problem.
>
> But overall I like GNU libc approach of everything thread safe by default. If
> thread performance is an issue, then it should be improved. Not worked around
> with two libraries.

I thought glibc was the one to introduce libc_r in the first place ---
are they making libc thread-safe now?

What OS's are still using libc_r for threaded-ness?  I never liked that
approach myself, and I resist adding it to our setup unless it is
required.

One problem now is that we don't have a way to create a separate libpq_r
for operating systems that use libc_r.  We just create libpq and it is
thread-safe.

As for the configure flag, we still need it because we don't know the
flags required by all our supported OS's.

Pennsylvania19073