Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date
Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3  (Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>)
List pgsql-advocacy
People,

Remember, everyone, this is a Press Release for the **trade press**.  It does
NOT pay to get too technical.   For example, I'd re-write the below as:

> Improvements to the query planner, including a redesign of subquery
> handling with the IN() clause, resulting in considerable speed
> improvements.

Improvements in subquery handling by the planner resulting in up to 400% speed
increases in some complex queries.

(the 400% is based on a couple of examples on -PERFORMANCE)

Even a trade reporter ... like the Linux Weekly News ... isn't likely to
understand " IN() subquery".

> > Optional explicit join rewriting by the query planner,
> > allowing an easy transition for MS SQL Server users.
>
> I don't like that, because istm win32 would really make transition
> easier, and I'd like to avoid bringing up thoughts of that...

Sure it would, but the from_collapse_order was a big deal to several former
MSSQL DBAs on our lists.

> Are there other databases that use this behavior?

Yes, Sybase.  Not sure about others.  I see where you're going:

Optional explicit join rewriting by the query planner,
allowing an easy transition for MS SQL Server and Sybase
users.

> > Mentioning support for AMD's Opteron would also be a good bit to have
> > since that says, "we're a safe database to base your business around
> > because we move with the times and support cutting edge hardware, even
> > though the project has been around forever."
>
> still thinking on this one... it's not new that we support 64bit
> hardware.

No, it's not.  I point out, though, that MySQL got a significant amount of
press milage out of their support for AIX last year ... even though we've had
it for 2 years.  Since we *do* have production-tested support for Opteron in
this release, we need to trumpet it loud and "grab the high ground."

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions