Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: 7.4 Press Release -- Draft #3
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 19:40, Sean Chittenden wrote:
<snip>

> >    - A redesign of subquery handling with the IN() clause resulting
> >      in considerable speed improvements.
>
> Might be worth while mentioning something like the following to go
> with the above point:
>
>       Other additional planner improvements have brought PostgreSQL's
>       performance inline with the large RDBMS vendors.

Improvements to the query planner, including a redesign of subquery
handling with the IN() clause, resulting in considerable speed
improvements.

<snip>

> How about "Explicit JOINs no longer constrain query plan, unless
> JOIN_COLLAPSE_LIMIT = 1"?  This is kind of a big deal for MS SQL
> users/organizations..  Targeting their audience would be good and
> increase our user uptake from their dept.
>
>     When enabled, the planner can now automatically optimize the
>     join order of queries: a feature found in a few commercial
>     RDBMS's that can reduce the time busy DBAs need to spend
>     optimizing queries.

I don't like this because the planner already optimizes the join order
of queries for non explicit joins, and to me I have always looked at the
ability to ability to constrain query plans based on join order as
feature...

Josh wrote:
> Optional explicit join rewriting by the query planner,
> allowing an easy transition for MS SQL Server users.

I don't like that, because istm win32 would really make transition
easier, and I'd like to avoid bringing up thoughts of that...

Are there other databases that use this behavior?

> Mentioning the protocol change is also probably important here.
>
>     New wire protocol (version 3) increases the speed of data transfers.
>
> I haven't benchmarked it, but from what I've read of the protocol
> spec, it likely does.  Tom might want to confirm this.  More efficient
> BYTEA transfers is a big deal for the medical community that's storing
> MRIs in PostgreSQL.

If you can get Tom to confirm this, I would put it in.

> Mentioning support for AMD's Opteron would also be a good bit to have
> since that says, "we're a safe database to base your business around
> because we move with the times and support cutting edge hardware, even
> though the project has been around forever."

still thinking on this one... it's not new that we support 64bit
hardware.

> > 3. Need a URL for the changelog
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4static/release.html#RELEASE-7-4

I've proffered http://www.postgresql.org/docs/release/740.html to the
web group, which seems to have been found acceptable (at least no one
objected). Anyone want to create pages for all of the previous releases?

> Sorry for putting on my editor hat so late in the announcement
> drafting process. -sc

No problem, you've got some good suggestions here.

Robert Treat