Re: ODBC query problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: ODBC query problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:04:25PM -0500, Luis Maga?a wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> yes, it's running solaris 8 on a SPARC with SCSI disk.

Hmm.  64 bit?  There've been plenty of bugs in the 64 bit libraries,
AFAICT.  We've even discovered some of 'em ourselves, and I got so
leery that we still use a 32-bit-compiled Postgres for production
work.  IIRC, there's a package floating about for gcc 3.2.x that
compiles 64 bit binaries by default, so you may want to check this
out.

> Howver, I have a core file dumped whenever this happens. Let me find out
> how to do the backtrace and I'll show it to you gladly.

If you're using the 64 bit libraries, the bad news is that gdb is
pretty flakey with them.  So you have to use adb instead.  It's not
compeltely transparent in its operation, but the man page actually
does tell you everything you need, sort of, if you read it all about
60 times.  I have suppressed most of my knowledge of it, so I'm sorry
not to be much help.  Anyway, if you get no symbols, you probably
need to re-compile the postmaster with debugging symbols in.  If you
use gcc, there's _supposed_ to be no cost to that.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110