Re: replication: PG vs My - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: replication: PG vs My
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 08:38:34PM -0300, Martin Sarsale wrote:
> Dear all: we're trying to choose a db for our site. We're a little
> bit worried about the load of the server so we were thinking in
> some kind of db cluster.
>
> Mysql has a built-in way to do this but I found that pg relies on
> external utilities. How good are they? Are they ready for
> production-servers?

As far as I know, there are no real cluster systems for either
PostgreSQL or MySQL.  That is, you can't just add another database
and write into it transparently as well.  There are some under
development for PostgreSQL; I don't know about MySQL.

If you want simple replication, there are already some versions
available.  The software currently in production, supporting the
.info and .org registries, is going to become free software (I'm
working on it now); so if you require free software, you might want
to wait for that.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110