Re: OSF build fixed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kurt Roeckx
Subject Re: OSF build fixed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:37:39PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I'm not sure, it was used before.
>
> Before when?  A quick grep finds it nowhere in either the 7.2 or 7.3
> trees ... which means we have zero field experience with it.  My guess
> is that someone threw it in and punted on making configure set it up.

It was in CVS when I started working on my patch, so I assumed it
was checked somewhere.

> In 7.3 and before, we never bother to set sin_len or sun_len as far as
> I can see.  Is it really necessary to start setting them now?

I don't know.  It's probably set when you call getpeername() or
something.  I doubt the kernel looks at it in other calls.

It's the other ipv6 patch that was applied that probably started
doing it, so I also did it.

> If we could dispense with the tests in the .c files, we could make a
> much more robust definition of sockaddr_storage along the lines of
>
>     struct sockaddr_storage {
>         union {
>         struct sockaddr sa;
>         int64 __ss_align;      /* ensure alignment */
>         char __ss_pad[128];    /* ensure size */
>         } ss_stuff;
>     };
>
>     #define ss_family  ss_stuff.sa.sa_family

I'm not sure about that __ss_align one, I think you need 2 of
them.

Kurt