Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tim Conrad
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Being new to Postgres, I understand how frustrating tuning is. I've been
working on some very basic queries, and trying to get some decent performance.
I know the problem isn't with io on the system, since I can use other tests
that far exceed the amount of data being written through postgres, so I can
only assume that the  rdbms needs to be tuned.

even beyond doing different configuration files (as mysql does, fyi), just
having 'guidelines' for where to start with tuning  the various items in
postresql.conf would be helpful. Something like

foo_val = 100 # 0-1024; higher numbers for more complex queries

I don't think that'd be too difficult. Anyone who's worked with a database
of any type, understands that tuning needs to happen.

Having the three different sizes of servers (as suggested below) would be
helpful. MySQL does this, and i've used their default configurations in the
past to help me troubleshoot probllems i was having with a complex query on
sub-standard hardware. After changing some of the values around, the query
ran slowly, but it actually ran, whereas before, it didn't.

Slightly off subject, as I've been advocating use of Postgres, and people
have been trying it, some of the quirks that one runs into when goinng from
rdbms to rdbms are frustrating as well. Granted, these things happen with
going from any rdbms to another, but it'd be nice if there were a guide to say
something like, in MySQL, you use 'show tables from tablename', and in
Postgres, you use \d tablename to achieve the same results.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tim