Re: [GENERAL] pgAdmin III - Call for Translators - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From A. van Roggen
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pgAdmin III - Call for Translators
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 02-Jul-2003, 10:55, Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> wrote:

> As many of you already know, pgAdmin is a widely used Open Source GUI
> Management tool for PostgreSQL, similar to DB2's Control Center or SQL
> Server's Enterprise Manager.
[snip]
> In addition to full Unicode support, we also aim to translate pgAdmin
> III into a wide variety of languages - so far we have seven translations
> from English, with another 13 on the way. This is a task that can easily
> be undertaken by non-programmers. ...

   I disagree, at least with the 'easily' part.  Do not expect that e.g. a
French Shakespeare expert can translate a technical documentation document
without causing problems, ranging from the use of common (fuzzy) words to
better-defined technical terms [physics example: power, energy] to style
differences which affect the interpretation.  In such a case, always have
the final verison edited by a technical expert.

   If you ever have read the instruction books for e.g. early VCR
recorders, translated from the original Japanese to English, you will know
exactly what I mean.  Proper translation is not an easy job, and
volunteers from another branch of technology should be informed that some
technical suggestion to the text may be made before acceptance.

A. van Roggen
avanrogg@sju.edu