From Jeff
Subject Re: [NOVICE] jobs mailling list: pgsql-jobs@postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:25:23AM +1000, Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> OK .. sounds like a web site is part of the solution.

indeed :)

> How 'bout something like ...
> a) 1 page to list all jobs ( probably just a few )

ya, what I would propose is to use the built in 'summary' function in Eros
to facilitate a 'paged' view of the job listings.. you can adjust the
'limit' (items per page) via the URL and you can also adjust the offset
(where the list starts). the summary function accepts a pointer to a
'oneitem' function, so you can display things however you want.

that means that as a 'power user' if you want to list everything on one
page, you can set the limit to '10000 items per page' and it will work, or
you can keep the default of '5 items per page', etc.

> b) 1 page to list all programers looking for available ( includes a
> small resume )

again, we can use the 'paging' code I wrote for Eros, and then when we have
10,000,000 programers in the database, it won't be a mess.. it will do the
paging automatically.

> b) 1 page to add jobs

yup, simple form, perhaps multiple steps (see below)

> c) 1 page to add programers

yup, simple form, perhaps multiple steps (see below)

> d) 1 .xml file to store jobs and programers

easy.

> e) 1 .xsd ( xml schema ) file

hmm.. never done one of these, but if it is just the schema, that's pretty
easy too.

> e) 1 .rss file to store jobs and programers for folks to add to their
> site(s)

ya, I know about rss, so this is easy. if we go this route, I will add the
rss feed to zoidtechnologies.com

> Again these are just ideas/suggestions.
> Your opinion ?
>
> Cheers
> Rudi.

eros is set up to allow 'members' to be created.. so what I can do is make a
way that you can mark yourself as an 'employer' or an 'employee'. based on
the result of that drop down box, it will set a flag on the account.. then
you will be given a menu option to 'add job(s)' or 'post resume' (or both)
based on how you have set up that particular account.

if you are an employee, you are probably only going to need to post your
resume, and if you are an employer, you probably don't need to post resumes,
but rather post jobs.. so it would be context sensitive based on the type of
user you are.

of course it's possible to be marked as both if you really want that, but
for most cases, you will be one or the other.

I agree with another poster who said it should be hosted by hub.org which is
fine.. all I need is a shell account, really.. or I can make snapshots and
someone else can scp them over.

what I would do is develop and test on zoidtechnologies.com, and then we can
deploy to whatever ASP you want.

regards,