Re: help with rpm script - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: help with rpm script
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 02 July 2003 01:20, Craig Jensen wrote:
> I need to have the rpm when installed create a database and a user with
> privilege to that database. These are the command functions I need to
> execute within the rpm...

> # service postgresql start
> # su postgres
> # createdb account
> # psql account < my1.sql
> # psql account < my2.sql
> # exit

It is an extremely bad idea to do this.  Scriptlets in RPM run in a weird
mode.

Rather, in your spec file, do an initdb in the %install phase, and run a
restore of the precreated database (in %install, again, but this might be a
little tricky to do, since the postmaster as associated executables are in
the buildroot, not in a really runnable position).  Then have this packaged
as, say, postgresql-data or somesuch.  Add the precreated dump (if it's a
dumpall, it will have the database name and all users as part of the dump).

Or have the initscript in /etc/rc.d/init.d perform the restore immediately
after the initdb that the first initscript run will do.

But you really don't want to be doing this in %post.  What if it's an upgrade?
RPM upgrades and installs are identical from the scriptlet's point of view
(except for the one parameter).  I have a little experience in this regard,
having maintained the mainline PostgreSQL RPM's for four years.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio