Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Pre-allocation of shared memory ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
OK, new text is:
      <para>       Linux has poor default memory overcommit behavior.  Rather than       failing if it can not reserve
enoughmemory, it returns success,       but later fails when the memory can't be mapped and terminates       the
applicationwith <literal>kill -9</>.  To prevent unpredictable       process termination, use:

<programlisting>
sysctl -w vm.overcommit_memory=3
</programlisting>       Note, you will need enough swap space to cover all your memory needs.      </para>
</listitem>   </varlistentry>

Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, doc patch attached and applied.  Improvements?
>
> I think it would be worth spending another sentence to tell people
> exactly what the symptom looks like, ie, backends dying with signal 9.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Pennsylvania19073