Re: Pg_dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Gould
Subject Re: Pg_dumpall
Date
Re: Pg_dumpall  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have cron execute a Python script as the database
administrator to vacuum and backup all databases.
Rather than dump all databases at once, however, the
script performs a 'pgsql -l' to get a current list of
databases.  Each database is dumped and piped into
gzip for compression into its own backup file.

I should also mention that the script renames all
previous backup files, all ending in *.gz, to
*.gz.old; so that they survive the current pg_dump.
Of course, you could change the script to put the date
in the file name as to keep unlimited backup versions.

If you'd like the script, let me know.

Best of Luck,

Andrew L. Gould