Re: pgsql Replication Proxy (was Re: Replication for a - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael A Nachbaur
Subject Re: pgsql Replication Proxy (was Re: Replication for a
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 12:10 pm, Wei Weng wrote:
> Michael:
>
> 1: It will probably need a messaging system that can properly
> register/unregister a backend database system. a SIP like syntax comes
> into mind. (or a XML message, for the ease of future expansion)

I'm thinking Spread would be a good idea here.  To tell you the truth, I
haven't had to deal too much with high-speed guarenteed messaging in a looong
time, so I'm out of touch with this.

> 2: What do you mean by "per-database basis"? Database as the concept of
> database schema? or seperate physical database server?

Per database schema.  This is primarily to meet my requirements, but it makes
sense for other scenarios.  Essentially, I have a production database server
and a development database server.  Both have similar capabilities, and are
always on (redundant power supplies, UPS, etc).  My development machine will
have a replicated copy of the production database schema, but I'd also like
to have a "private" database schema on the same machine that I can do
development work on, where I can break it without affecting production.

I'd like to eventually do something similar to mod_backhand, where "select"
statements are sent to a server with the least amount of load, so slower
machines can still take part in a proxy setup without reducing performance
(or hammering the poor little box).  One could also give a server a handicap
so it has more capacity for other uses (e.g. my development server).

> 3: How does the proxy server know that a backend server failed in commit?

I'm thinking of having a queue of statements that the proxy server maintains.
Each server will have it's own pointer that refers to the location in the
queue they are at.  Each statement is then sent to the database server
sequentially, and if a statement fails on a given server, its removed from
the list list of valid servers, and it's index remains at the statement that
failed.

This is really starting to sound complicated...