Re: What is bad in this query ? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Gamache
Subject Re: What is bad in this query ?
Date
List pgsql-sql
You want to insert into "user" a user named "rado" only if there is not a user
named rado in existence already, right?

Method 1:

data=# CREATE TABLE user (
data(#   name varchar(50),
data(#   CONSTRAINT user_name_pkey PRIMARY KEY (name)
data(#  ) WITH OIDS;
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index 'user_name_pkey'
for table 'user'
CREATE
data=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
data=# INSERT INTO user VALUES ('rado');
INSERT 183655716 1
data=# COMMIT;
COMMIT
data=# BEGIN;
BEGIN
data=# INSERT INTO user VALUES ('rado');
ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index user_name_pkey
data=# COMMIT;
COMMIT
data=# SELECT * FROM user;name
------rado
(1 row)

data=#

OR

Method 2 (after creating the table above and inserting 'rado'):

data=# INSERT INTO user (name) SELECT 'rado' FROM user WHERE name <> 'rado';
INSERT 0 0
adddata=# INSERT INTO user (name) SELECT 'odar' FROM user WHERE name <> 'odar';
INSERT 183655788 1

(Method 2 fails silently...)

HTH,

CG