Re: Performance problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Performance problems
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 25 April 2003 20:23, marco wrote:
> I unfortunately don't understand the whole thing totally, but if I dump
> the database (with pg_dump), delete it and restore it, the time values
> for reading and writing have decreased to a normal level and begin to
> increase again.
>
> It seems to me, that I do sth. fundamentally wrong :( But even after
> searching google and the postgresql archives I don't see the light at
> all...

You need to vacuum full everytime you delete large amount of rows and vacuum
analyze every time you insert/update large amount of rows..

I would say large amount==50K row is a good start.. So after 20 runs of tool,
run vacuum once.. Try it and let us know..

 Shridhar