Re: > 16TB worth of data question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Chittenden
Subject Re: > 16TB worth of data question
Date
List pgsql-general
> FWIW, FreeBSD's UFS filesystem doesn't suffer from the 2G
> limit. It's limit is something like 4TB iirc.

Actually, on FreeBSD >5.X, you have UFS2 which shatters the 4TB limit.
Now you're limited to 16,777,216TB per file system.  Sorry it's not
more.  In truth, I wish that limit was higher as I seem to run into it
on a daily basis.  ::grumps::         8-]

> I'll also second the opinion that if you're really going to put that
> much data in your database, x86 hardware might not be a good idea.
> However, I'd recommend RS/6000 over Sun if you can afford it;

There really is something to be said for the architecture of PowerPC's
memory access routines and its scalability... though quirky to build
open source stuff on, AIX is still the grand daddy of *NIXes for this
very reason.

-sc

--
Sean Chittenden