Re: high availability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: high availability
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 06:43:48PM -0400, Richard Welty wrote:
> i'm pondering a startup right now which will have some rather stringent
> requirements for high availability, and one of the issues that's on my mind
> is how to upgrade a high availability postgresql server farm. does anyone
> have any thoughts/experience on this?

Define "high availability".

The first thing you need is an OS and hardware that can support hot
plugging of all the hardware, &c.  Plus you need ultra-reliable
hardware in the first place.

Then, use one of the replication systems on offer to make sure
you have a second (and probably third) database.

If you want automated failover, PostgreSQL, Inc. say they'll sell you
something which can do it.  I am suspicious of the assumptions behind
the approach, but I haven;t investigated it deeply.

If what you want is 100% guaranteed uptime with no interruptions for
maintenance, I don't really think Postgres can do it yet.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110