Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From cbbrowne@cbbrowne.com
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin, without the "e", wrote...
> I seriously think the native Win32 port of Postgres will make a big
> difference, because it'll be a SQL Server killer.  Especially if it
> comes with a nice administrative GUI.  :-)

I wouldn't be too sanguine about that, from two perspectives:
a) There's a moving target, here, in that Microsoft seems to be   looking for the next "new thing" to be the
eliminationof   the use of "files" in favor of the filesystem being treated   as a database.

b) We recently were considering how we'd put a sharable Windows box    in, at the office.  Were considering using VNC
toallow it to be   accessible.  Then someone thought to read the license, only to   discover that the license pretty
muchexpressly forbids running   "foreign, competing applications" on the platform.

It seems pretty plausible that the net result of further development
will be platforms that are actively hostile to foreign software.

If I suggested that the licensing of Win2003 would expressly forbid
installing PostgreSQL, people would rightly accuse me of being a
paranoid conspiracy theorist.

But considering that the thought of VNC being outlawed would have seemed
pretty daft a few years ago, and we see things like DMCA combining with
"Homeland Security."  Anti-"hacking" provisions have been going into
telecom laws that appear to classify network hardware that can do NAT as
"illegal hacking" equipment.  I'm not sure what we'd have to consider
"daft" come 2005...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/internet.html