Need Clarification re md5 and pg_shadow files. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Molly Gibson
Subject Need Clarification re md5 and pg_shadow files.
Date
List pgsql-general
####Background:
Postgres 7.2.2

Created a user/pwd combo (with CREATE USER), then
granted the user select permissions on certain views.
It works locally, but the user would like to connect
from his own machine.

Added a line to pg_hba.conf for this user's machine:
host   testdb1 10.10.4.2 255.255.255.255    md5

This works, everyone's happy.

####The question:
Here's where I'm confused:  the instructions in
pg_hba.conf say "md5 can use usernames stored in
secondary password files but ignores passwords stored
there.  The pg_shadow password will always be used."
I don't have a pg_shadow file, only a pg_pwd file.
Maybe I just don't know where to find it. ;)  So how
is this working without a pg_shadow file, or am I
misunderstanding the instructions in thinking that
it's required?  Wrong/no passwords result in an auth
failure, so it's getting the password from
_somewhere_.

Thanks!
mol