Re: aaagh... postgres is segfaulting? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: aaagh... postgres is segfaulting?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 09 Apr 2003 12:01 pm, Joshua Moore-Oliva wrote:
> (apology if this is a duplicate mail client was acting up)
>
> I'm trying a fresh install of postgres on a redhat machine (gcc 2.96)
> compiled from source.

So RedHat 7.3?

> I am getting messages along these lines in the logfile, and php is telling
> me that the backend abruptly ended the connection.

I take it you also get crashes from the command-line as well as PHP?

> How can i go about fixing this?
>
> Josh.
> LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-04-09 06:20:55 EDT
> LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/1816C2C
> LOG:  redo record is at 0/1816C2C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG:  next transaction id: 5882; next oid: 164471
> LOG:  database system is ready
> LOG:  server process (pid 29227) was terminated by signal 11
> LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
> LOG:  all server processes terminated; reinitializing shared memory and
> semaphores
> LOG:  database system was interrupted at 2003-04-09 06:22:07 EDT

A sig11 is frequently caused by bad memory or some other hardware fault.
Probably worth running a memory tester for a few hours to check. These
problems can appear only in key apps and are a pig to track down.

Also, make sure you've got the latest gcc rpm's from RedHat. I've got a vague
memory that they shipped a pre-release version initially.

Finally, give the rpm version a quick go if you can. I've not noticed any such
problems on RH7.3 with the current rpms.

If you suspect an actual fault in the code, the developers will be wanting a
backtrace from gdb (on the backend). Check the archives/google for details of
what info is useful to provide.

--
  Richard Huxton