Re: Deadlock while doing VACUUM?? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Brown
Subject Re: Deadlock while doing VACUUM??
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Kevin Brown <kevin@sysexperts.com> writes:
> > When a heavy INSERT or UPDATE load on a table is occurring (lots of
> > quick INSERTs or UPDATEs within a single transaction), a VACUUM
> > ANALYZE (or just straight VACUUM) has a really good chance (10% or so)
> > of causing either the INSERT/UPDATE or the VACUUM to fail with a
> > "deadlock detected" error.
>
> I was unable to replicate this in CVS tip, using "pgbench -c 10 -t 1000"
> as the load generator.

I finally got 7.3.2 installed, and confirmed that the problem does not
exist on that version.  So this is something that's limited to the
7.2.x tree.  Which, I guess, means that it's not going to get fixed
for that tree (I assume that 7.2.x is effectively end-of-lifed)...

On 7.3.2, a concurrent VACUUM appears to slow inserts down A LOT, but
it won't deadlock them.

--
Kevin Brown                          kevin@sysexperts.com