Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Newbie: problem Connecting to Server
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 03 April 2003 23:12, Tamir Halperin wrote:
> Looks like no one has corrected you, alex, so, as it pertains to redhat, a
> user of which I am not, you may have directed Frustrated correctly.

> >   you guys first have to create a POSTGRESQL USER, under which the
> > server will run...

> > ANYONE: please correct me, if I'm wrong!!!!! it is important, so I or
> > them won't mess up their systems..

Somehow I missed this the first time around....

With an RPM install of PostgreSQL (which RedHat Database is), please consult
README.rpm-dist (find it with 'rpm -ql postgresql |grep rpm').

The short of it:
The RPM install scripts handle the user creation.  All one must do is (as
root): '/sbin/service postgresql start' to get an initdb done and postmaster
started.  Then edit /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf to allow access to the
client IP address, and edit postgresql.conf (in the same directory) for
tcpip_socket to be true (if you are doing TCP/IP connections, that is).

To get postgresql started automatically at boot, do (assuming you want
postgresql to run in runlevels 3, 4, and 5): '/sbin/chkconfig --level 345
postgresql on'

List the currently valid runlevels with '/sbin/chkconfig --list postgresql'

If it complains about postgresql not be a known service, execute
'/sbin/chkconfig --add postgresql' -- if that doesn't work, check to see if
the postgresql-server RPM is installed ('rpm -qa|grep postgresql').
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio