Re: Please help with this error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Please help with this error message
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:19:24AM -0700, Chris Smith wrote:
> Okay, after looking through several pages of those search results and
> finding nothing that resembles a link to a disk or memory test, I gave up.

What hardware are you using?  If you're using x86 hardware,
memtestx86 is your best bet.  Linux has badblocks for disk checking;
other systems do this in other ways (with VxFS, you get notified
automatically by Solaris, for instance).

> Again, since this happens on multiple servers, it's unlikely to be a
> hardware problem in the first place.  Anyone have other ideas?

I don't think that's true.  If you got bad data in the first time,
you'll probably have it in all the systems.  SELECT might turn it up
when COPY wouldn't, because AFAIK COPY just spits out what it finds.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110