Re: Your database comparison article - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Your database comparison article
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Merlin,

> I'm not sure I agree.  The article was full of blanket generalizations
> (i.e. performance: advantage MySQL) with little or no factual basis
> beyond the author's presumed knowledge.

<grin>  "You'll get more ants with honey than with salt."

Regardless what anyone thinks of the first article's quality, comparisons of
Postgres vs. MSSQL are *exactly* what we want to see in print.     And we
certainly won't get any cooperation from the writer by criticizing him.

I cannot count the number of journalists we "turned around" on OpenOffice.org
by simply writing them and offering to help with their next
articles/technical problems.    With just a dozen volunteers writing nice,
polite, helpful e-mails to news writers, we were able to make OOo the 2nd or
3rd best known OSS project on the globe.  You'd be surprised how little
positive feedback tech journalists get ... a little goes a long way.

Or, to put it another way:  who are you more likely to help on PGSQL-NOVICE:
the newbie who pleads ignorance and begs politely for assistance, or the
curmudegeon who tells us Postgres docs are crap and he can't find anything?

BTW, this list has public archives.  So if  you criticize a journalist, please
be very aware that s/he may read your post.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions