Re: [GENERAL] Extracting time from timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Extracting time from timestamp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 20 Mar 2003 9:36 pm, Shridhar
Daithankar<shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in> wrote:
> I know this is rather stupid but still,
>
> I have a table which has a timestamp field in it and I need to get only
> time part of it. i.e. HH:MI format.

After much of RTFm( \df in psql in fact ), I found the solution. It is
timetz(abstime(timestamp)).

Well, timezone is OK with me but if somebody needs no timezones, then it is
still screwed though..

Further more, \df I find following output

 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| abstime
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| interval
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| text
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| time with time zone
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| time without time zone,
integer
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| timestamp with time zone
 time without time zone      | pg_catalog | time| timestamp without time zone

I don't found these functions working as they expected. e.g.

phd=# select time(abstime(timestamp 'now')) from bookings;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "abstime" at character 13
phd=# select time(timestamp 'now') from bookings;
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "timestamp" at character 13
phd=# select version();
                               version
 PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on i386-portbld-freebsd4.7, compiled by GCC 2.95.4
(1 row)

That goes for any timestamp value I presume. Is this a bug or am I
misinterpreting the information?

 Shridhar