Re: probs with postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: probs with postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 5. We have been having load and stability problems with our Postgres since
> we released a massive upgrade to our website.  We did actually have one time
> when Postgres crashed and the whole server rebooted when we got a bunch of
> these:

> Mar 20 09:25:54 serendipity /kernel: pmap_collect: collecting pv entries --
> suggest increasing PMAP_SHPGPERPROC

[blink...]  Perhaps you should be asking hard questions about the
stability of your kernel.  What are you running, anyway?

This is not to say that Postgres might not have its own problems --- but
Postgres is an unprivileged process.  If your kernel is crashing, it is
not Postgres that's broken.