Re: What is the quickest query in the database? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: What is the quickest query in the database?
Date
List pgsql-general
It's academic. Set timing on in psql and run a bunch of tests. The variation
from test to test is large enough to mask any difference between select 0 or
select '' or select null.

It would, however, be nice to know the reason for this query. I suspect it is
to "ping" the server and making sure it is up by connecting and running a
simple query with a known result. (Many colos have all sorts of setups for
monitoring web servers but fewer for other services - setting up a "test"
page on the web server that makes a request from the app server which, in
turn, does a simple db query, all of which ultimately returns a standard
string, say "system up", to the http request works quite well to set off
alarm bells at the colo or even to allow a load balancer to take action).

But I am surmising. What is the real reason for the query?

Cheers,
Steve