Re: PostGreSQL Replication question !! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: PostGreSQL Replication question !!
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 06:21:16AM -0800, Eric Cros wrote:
> 1 : Is the project RServ (Open source project of eRServer)still
> existing ? or is there only eRServer ? I can't fin sources and help
> with RServ do you know a good link ?

The rserv code is still under contrib/ in the 7.3.x tarballs, as far
as I know.

> 2 : Is there 'dynamic' free projects on Replication now ? (PG
> Replicator, RServ... seems to be a little bit stopped or finished)

rserv is the little cousin of eRServer, which is still a commercially
supported project.  As far as I know, however, nobody is working on
the free code.

dbmirror is also in contrib/.  It's free.  Some people have had good
luck with it, I understand.  I believe it is still being developed.
I don't know that there's a lot of development to do.  It uses the
primary key on a table, and multiple-column primary keys are not
supported AFAIK.  I'll bet you could modify the code to use some
other single-column unique-indexed not null field.  I haven't tried.

> 3 : What is the best way to make PostGre Replication (from two
> different hosts on a same network)(with a free way)?
> Use PG Replicator ? or PostGres-R ? RServ?

As far as I know, Postgres-R isn't ready for production use.
Experiments with it, and reports of success and failure, would surely
be welcome.

But is your question phrased correctly?  You say "from two different
hosts on the same network".  Does that mean you want two master
databases, with one slave shared?  Or do you mean two machines, one
master and one slave?  The former may be impossible with anything at
the moment.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110