Re: Possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select from a table until a condition is met?" - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Nicholas Allen
Subject Re: Possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select from a table until a condition is met?"
Date
List pgsql-sql
But I'm not returning the surnames. I just execute this query (sorry I forgot
to put it in my last email):

select count(*) FROM vu_tbl_user_all_s WHERE s_surname < 'Asurname' or
(s_surname = 'Asurname' and s_alias <= 'CISX' and s_loginid <= 'Loginid8')
ORDER BY s_surname, s_loginid;

So all I am returning is the count right? If I execute the query using *
instead of count(*) to actually see the rows it returns the rows as expected
upto the row I was interested in. I would assume if postgres can execute a
query to give me row data it should also be able to execute the query and
count the rows without actually giving me the row data when I use count(*).

I have tried this on MySQL and it works just not on Postgres so it doesn't
seem to be something I am doing wrong. Which is why I thought it must be a
bug in Postgres.

Am I not missing something here. Is there something wrong with the syntax of
the above query?

Thjanks again for your help! I really appreciate it.